New laptop for uni

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Kryten

New laptop for uni

Post by Kryten »

Was hoping to make a thread in a couple of weeks about advice on building a new desktop. Unfortunately I managed to drop my laptop for uni from and it now refuses to work so looks like I need a replacement.

Was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of getting a bargain before the end of the summer. Could wait until the end of august to get one but would rather get it sorted sooner rather than later unless I'd get a much better bargain if I waited a bit more.

Previous laptop wasn't very fancy, got it very cheap off the Dell outlet store. A Dell studio 1735 intel 2 core duo CPU T8100 2.1Ghz, 3Gb RAM with integrated sound and graphics cards (they were crap).

All this new laptop would be used for is doing work, internet, watching DVDs, and listening to music (probably the most important thing to me). Don't intend to play games on the laptop as I never did with the last one. Wouldn't mind a 17 inch screen again since I was used to one with the last one but it isn't vital. Also have a couple of external hardrives so massive disk space isn't a must but is never a bad thing either.

Don't really know how far money stretches with laptops at the moment but budget wise I'd rather spend as little as possible. Around £400 or less if possible. It is my birthday next month so if there is real bargain I could stretch another hundred or 2 but I would probably rather save that for a rainy day.

Going to have a look myself on Monday but thought I'd make this first since I know most of you are a lot better at this than I am.

TL;DNR: Need a new laptop for uni. Cheap as possible, budget around £400 but could stretch more if necessary. Won't be used for gaming, mainly work and listening to music. Any help would be appreciated.
Kryten/Rimmer/Red Dwarf fanatic now forum lurker