Motherboard and case

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

ibuprofen

Motherboard and case

Post by ibuprofen »

I have recently purchased an Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard, and was wondering what case would complement it? its 12" by 9.6"

am looking at the coolermaster HAF X
If in a group of four stalwart champions of the light, and thou shouldst encounter a shaman, flee, for thou art heavily outnumbered.

Call me Tim, thats my name.
FragZero

Re: Motherboard and case

Post by FragZero »

Lian Li PC-A05N! small case but still fits ATX motherboards, i'm afraid some modding is required if you want decent gpu cooling!

Currently using this one with an asus P8Z68 Deluxe which isn't a small motherboard - 2x120mm + Corsair H100 and a single 6870, even a second 6870 fits (with low profile fans on the H100).

Or the Antec Threehundered Two - cheap but very good quality/features for the money!

Haf x is quite expensive already - and very big! I'm a huge fan of this PC-A05N i'm currently using - small but has everything i need.
Warrior => Stainomo
Druid => Kokopelli
FragZero

Post by FragZero »

So +- 2 hours after posting my previous post i found a good deal on 480's and now i have 2 coming my way - no idea how i will keep these cool in my little Lian-Li, considering an HAF X myself...
Warrior => Stainomo
Druid => Kokopelli
Roper

Post by Roper »

I think it comes down to personal preference on looks, budget, what else you need to fit inside, whether you need extreme cooling, and how much you like flashy lights. And maybe how much space you have under your desk or wherever.

Most cases should take your ATX board, but there could be considerations to be made if you need to fit in large graphics cards.

Something like the HAF X could be overkill, but personally I like a nice big case.
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
Darkropes - lvl70 Warlock
Ropair - lvl60 Retired Hunter
ibuprofen

Post by ibuprofen »

also, any recomendations on cooling as this is my first self build? will be most likely going for a single ATX 560, unless I can find a deal for multiples.
If in a group of four stalwart champions of the light, and thou shouldst encounter a shaman, flee, for thou art heavily outnumbered.

FragZero

Post by FragZero »

What's the budget?

A Corsair H100 is a very decent closed watercooling (aka no mainatance) system but it's quit expensive - 100€. It is on par with the very high end heatsinks which are almost the same price(they need decent fans etc).

Depending on the budget there are several nice heatsinks available - let me know!

And i assume you mean a GTX 560 ti? See if there is a deal for (EVGA) gtx 480's in the UK - these cards have more shaders - more memory - with a small overclock they are at gtx 580 level - Bang for the buck is insane on these cards!
Warrior => Stainomo
Druid => Kokopelli
ibuprofen

Post by ibuprofen »

Budget is whatever I get for my birthday really, though, with the motherboard, after some reviews, will probably be looking at a Noctua NH-D14, so this means I need a case with a bit of room. but also need to find some low clearance RAM.

ibuprofen

Post by ibuprofen »

right, its all coming together, have ordered my Processor, GPU, and OS, am going to use the case I already have as well as the memory, and am waiting to hear back from my uncle regarding HDD and Optical Drive, parts due by the end of next week, wish me luck :P

also, in regards to cooling, I am probably just going to stick with the stock heatsink, as I am not going to be overclocking fro a while, however, due to having an old Dual core processor from the PC I got given by my friend, I have a spare fan to use on the chasis, so all is good :D

FragZero

Post by FragZero »

Hope you got a 2500/2600/2700K? else no overclocking :)

4ghz shouldn't be a problem on the stock heatsink (unless you have one like mine, high temps but equally high oc :))
Warrior => Stainomo
Druid => Kokopelli