Computer Build help

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Re: Computer Build help

Post by ash »

I heard Crysis 3 is just graphics and lame gameplay anyway

so whats to lose?
Dreams of being better
Fatherjohn
Shogun

Post by Fatherjohn »

So we finally got around to building this last night! Overall it has been a success but there were a few issues that had to be resolved along the way!

One thing is that his graphics card fans have 4 Molex cables and we only had two spare cables left from the psu.. Do they each really need to be attached twice?

Also what program do you guys use to monitor temperatures etc?
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

Sorry forgot to mention I changed my mind on Thursday and rang up and changed to the MSI card. £20 more but I couldn't be bothered waiting and I checked today and it is £15 more than what I payed for it. All over now and just happy everything is here

P.S. It lives!
Kryten/Rimmer/Red Dwarf fanatic now forum lurker
ash

Post by ash »

Fatherjohn wrote: Also what program do you guys use to monitor temperatures etc?
if I can put bacon on it and it cooks, then we're ready to rock and roll :x

;D

http://www.cpuid.com/

offers some basic checks of temps
ash

Post by ash »

all this damn pc talk got me wondering how much it would take to get a new pc...

bleh its not cheap is it :-(

I picked a random gfx card in my expected price range but the rest I tried to work out what was shiny and good
fail.JPG
fail.JPG (75.01 KiB) Viewed 8574 times
tbh probably the CPU is over priced, tried to save a bit of cash by getting case + PSU together...

bloopbleepblaap

I dont even need a new pc :-\ my 5 year old ancient i7 more than handles league of legends lol ;)
Dreams of being better
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

try just getting an SSD ash, even if it doesn't sake your thirst for improvement then you could use it with your new build?
Heeuge

Post by Heeuge »

Kryten - Glad you like the shiny shiny. It's easy to justify a little extra cash once you've had to wait a few days ;)

Regarding the 2x 6 pin (or is it 1x6, 1x8 pin?) power for the VGA card itself - yes they're needed. The PCI-E slot can't provide enough power at full draw (up to url=http://azttek.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/ms ... c.html180W[/url] for this card) so it pulls more juice direct from the PSU through those pins.

Ashee - if you want a new PC start a new thread. I get easily confused. :P

If you want a ~128GB SSD, there are better (read: cheaper) options than the OCZ you picked. I'm not sure how great a 500W PSU will be if it's thrown in for free with a case, even if it claims to be elite... Also, at the VGA price point you picked you should be looking at the ATi 7870 LE models rather than an nVidia 660.

PS - doooo eeeeet :naughty:
ash

Post by ash »

Septih wrote:try just getting an SSD ash, even if it doesn't sake your thirst for improvement then you could use it with your new build?
I could but Im still on SATA1 and I run XP 64 bit... so no TRIM improvements as they have in Windows 7...

I'm still on xp because of a networking problem. In Windows 7 and above I get spikes every minute or so when windows attempts to determine the best wireless network to use or something.

Its one of the reasons I've held back updating for all this time..
Heeuge

Post by Heeuge »

I'd troubleshoot the wifi issue / replace the wifi card while you're upgrading then. ;)

Next you'll be telling us you're still on 56k dialup because you like the lag.
ash

Post by ash »

dawwwwwww so close

I read that as "I'll troubleshoot the issue while you're upgrading"

xD

I've tried about 3 times in the last 7 years to determine how to fix the issue but I've just not had the luck/skill to find out how.

Problem seems to stem from the windows WLAN Autoconfig service. I have the same problem on XP - if I use the Windows wireless networking program. But when I use the software provided by the manufacturer of my adapter (and I've tried 3 different ones), the lag mysteriously disappears...

I might give it another go this weekend, its about time for my xp reinstall anyway
Heeuge

Post by Heeuge »

A full replacement, with essentially the same kit (but tweaked for cost / performance) for £730:

Add the Ebuyer 7870 LE VGA card and you're laughing. You may have already been laughing. I even added a PCI WiFi card for funsies!

Alternatively, getting everything from Ebuyer (and swapping a few components for similar / available options) comes out at £721:

Doooo eeeeeeet :twisted:
ash

Post by ash »

saving of £30 which is not bad, but meh. I'd probably just be happier if I got win7 working with my network :-(
Heeuge

Post by Heeuge »

Take the CPU & VGA card down a notch (all of 0.2GHz on the CPU) and move to mATX format (without losing any functionailty) and save a further £60 :mrgreen:

:twisted:
ash

Post by ash »

I appreciate the effort heeugemaester but I think I'll pass for the moment thanks :)

maybe I can hassle some people to fix my wireless instead :P (in a new thread)

spent all last night installing xp 64 then win 7 in different partition.. gonna finish it up tonight and see what I can do with it
Dreams of being better