Solo Onyxia

Find out here about what's going on in the world of the CTSamurai.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

tomas

Solo Onyxia

Post by tomas »

Just cos I like showing off as well as the next man! While Gwayne was doing some Solo Karazhan action, I figured I'd give Onyxia a go.

Downed her on the 3rd attempt. On the way in the last time (3rd) I had to rekill the adds before her. And it was only on the third attempt I noticed that my pet had Cower on (bloody bugs!)

She dropped 185 gold, two Bags (18 Slot) and a multitude of other stuff I vendered, most of it worthless, the most expensive thing she dropped was a ring with +10 of all resistances on which vendered for over 8 gold.

Phase 1
I Afk'd most of it, especially since I was having trouble with aggro, since I didn't know my pet was cowering. Easiest Phase

Phase 2
The whelps were hitting me for around 120 each, when theres 30 of them it stacks up. Putting my pet on Defensive doesn't help much because it *ALWAYS* picked Onyxia as the next target, leaving the adds on me. This entire phase I was hitting Feign Death every time it was on cooldown, and bandaging whenever I could.

Phase 3
Just as easy as Phase 1 really. I tried to avoid the Fear with Beastial Wrath, but failed to get the timing right every time.

I was wearing 5 peices of Fire Resist gear which helped keep her fireballs damage down to a managable level (off the top of my head, I think they were doing 2k, and I was resisting 1.2k of them) and they also helped with the deep breaths (at one point I had 3 straight after each other)

Attempt 1
Died phase 2 trying to get whelps off me

Attempt 2
Pet died at the start of phase 2 cos I was concentrating on having him pick up adds and not watching his health.

All in All, I think I'll go back next week, now I know what I'm doing I should manage it first go, and I'd like another 200g please :p
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Re: Solo Onyxia

Post by ash »

are there any areas that the whelps don't gather in so much?

I doubt my rogue could do it, but perhaps my warrior should when he hits 80. block > low hitting mobs
Dreams of being better
Beckie
Sweet like Candy

Post by Beckie »

Id expect the whole ranged dps (/chasing her around at the 1 point you can melee) to make her land may be painful for meleers:P

And the whelps just run to whoever they agro on.
Becki, Luvox, Candy, Prozak, Beckie
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

I believe it is possible to hit her from underneath in air phase... avoiding deep breath could be fun (!)
Dreams of being better
tomas

Post by tomas »

Deep Breaths weren't doing loads of damage, but then again, I avoided most, and resisted a fair few (I had about 240 Fire Resist).

I'd suggest that for a class that can't heal itself this fight would be impossible (and i'm not count Hunters, since they can let pet get aggro and heal them) it might even be impossible for a Blood Death Knight, but i'm not exactly sure how much healing they can produce.
P3mby

Post by P3mby »

Melee dps on Onyxia is not too difficult in Phase 2; she always points in the direction she is going to do the deep breath, so being underneath her means you can easily move to avoid those. I might give this a go on my pala, probably when I get to 80 though. Main problem could well be mana :(
Vincenoir
Priest and Warlock Class Leader

Post by Vincenoir »

I dont know if it's ret aura or concecration or both, but with seal of wisdom up against the whelps your mana should replenish veewy qwuickwy
Greentitch
I wish I had a forum rank. I do I do I do.

Post by Greentitch »

And now by a shadow priest :P
accalia
Trouble maker

Post by accalia »

Now go solo Kara ;D
AKA: Dreamoness, Mischief, Whitewitch, Wabbsi and Nightbayne.
"... there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake. And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun for the people who are still alive..."
Hellmaker

Post by Hellmaker »

I solo'ed Onyxia yesterday.
(paladin)
Protection specc with holy/retri/prot gear. Went easy, just keep the mana up. Seal of Wisdom, Judgement of Wisdom etc :)

But congrats :)
Zarzarel

Post by Zarzarel »

It could go faster if after phase 1 you switch to a damage seal and go in the whelp eggs and have some on you. That's what I did whenever I was low on mana, as they don't actually damage you but get you lots of mana from BoS.

The fastest solo was on retri spec though, damage is so much higher then and with instant FoL you can't really die.
cronulus

Post by cronulus »

Could anyone confirm that she can be hit while up in the air? I'd like some 18slot bags :-p
Zarzarel

Post by Zarzarel »

Well, how do you think paladins can solo her? :) Of course she can be hit while up in the air...
cronulus

Post by cronulus »

I should learn to read all replies. Do you still need attunement?
tomas

Post by tomas »

Zarzarel wrote:Well, how do you think paladins can solo her? :) Of course she can be hit while up in the air...
*throws shield at Onyxia*
*wait*
*wait*
*throws shield at Onyxia*