RealID

Got World of Warcraft news? Seen something cool? Share it here.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Re: RealID

Post by Commando »

There's some good points in your blog, particularly about social stigma and issues of mistaken identity, but I think the line you emphasised with bold text towards the end is misleading:
Timothy Borrowdale wrote:A normal person plus anonymity and an audience of like-minded people can lead to an amazing transformation for the better
There's three parts of that quote that I have a problem with. The first is the word "can". Yes, it "can", you're absolutely right - but then dropping a broken laptop off the third floor of a building "can" make it work again. That doesn't mean it's likely or an expected result, but it's certainly possible.

The second part is "like-minded people". If by "like-minded people" you mean "people who don't find verbal abuse, argumentation for the sake of argumentation and general trolling appealing" then yes, your statement might hold true. If by "like-minded people" you mean "people who play WoW" then no, it doesn't.

The third part is "anonymity". See, personally I'd argue that sites like Elitist Jerks are not anonymous. You create an ID there, and those on the site who don't contribute in a useful and productive manner are swiftly banned. Sure, they can create a new ID (or even several IDs) but their opinion will have little weight if their ID isn't known and respected. For people to care about what you have to say you have to care about your ID and refrain from posting in a way that will get you a bad reputation. Screw up and that ID is banned, permanently. Sure, people don't use their real name, but not using your real name isn't the same as being anonymous.

4chan is anonymous. There are no names there at all, and as a result a large proportion of it is complete horseshit. Again, going back to the word "can", it's certainly not unheard of for good things to come out of it, which just goes to show how vague the word "can" is.

The current WoW forums are a kind of middle-ground. They're more anonymous than Elitist Jerks, but they're not as anonymous as 4chan. You have to use an ID when you post, but you can use any ID you feel like provided you have a spare character slot. The only people who can tell who you really are are the moderators, and they wield the ban-hammer so lightly it may as well not even exist. That's close enough to anonymous as far as regular users are concerned, because while you can choose to use a single ID every time you post you certainly don't have to.

You can certainly argue that a lot of people will stop using the WoW forums when RealId is put in place, and I don't doubt that for a moment. But personally one of the reasons I don't read or post there is because it's a complete cesspool. If RealId changes that I might at least bother to read them once in a while.
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

Commando wrote:There's some good points in your blog, particularly about social stigma and issues of mistaken identity, but I think the line you emphasised with bold text towards the end is misleading:
Timothy Borrowdale wrote:A normal person plus anonymity and an audience of like-minded people can lead to an amazing transformation for the better
There's three parts of that quote that I have a problem with. The first is the word "can". Yes, it "can", you're absolutely right - but then dropping a broken laptop off the third floor of a building "can" make it work again. That doesn't mean it's likely or an expected result, but it's certainly possible.

The second part is "like-minded people". If by "like-minded people" you mean "people who don't find verbal abuse, argumentation for the sake of argumentation and general trolling appealing" then yes, your statement might hold true. If by "like-minded people" you mean "people who play WoW" then no, it doesn't.

The third part is "anonymity". See, personally I'd argue that sites like Elitist Jerks are not anonymous. You create an ID there, and those on the site who don't contribute in a useful and productive manner are swiftly banned. Sure, they can create a new ID (or even several IDs) but their opinion will have little weight if their ID isn't known and respected. For people to care about what you have to say you have to care about your ID and refrain from posting in a way that will get you a bad reputation. Screw up and that ID is banned, permanently. Sure, people don't use their real name, but not using your real name isn't the same as being anonymous.

4chan is anonymous. There are no names there at all, and as a result a large proportion of it is complete horseshit. Again, going back to the word "can", it's certainly not unheard of for good things to come out of it, which just goes to show how vague the word "can" is.

The current WoW forums are a kind of middle-ground. They're more anonymous than Elitist Jerks, but they're not as anonymous as 4chan. You have to use an ID when you post, but you can use any ID you feel like provided you have a spare character slot. The only people who can tell who you really are are the moderators, and they wield the ban-hammer so lightly it may as well not even exist. That's close enough to anonymous as far as regular users are concerned, because while you can choose to use a single ID every time you post you certainly don't have to.

You can certainly argue that a lot of people will stop using the WoW forums when RealId is put in place, and I don't doubt that for a moment. But personally one of the reasons I don't read or post there is because it's a complete cesspool. If RealId changes that I might at least bother to read them once in a while.
Regarding the "misleading" bit, I think the lead in line was more misleading, I've only just gotten back into writing and the amount of times I rewrote/moved/deleted bits is countless. The PA comic is pretty common, especially in our circles so it's probably closer to the truth than I said.

The bolded part was not meant to be about the WoW community specifically, but the Internet in general. I'd say it's a no-brainer that the relative anonymity has allowed a lot of clever people to produce content and goods for us to consume without fear of over-extending themselves. See the open source community (addons for WoW) where the authors can make software for anyone to use and still carry on with their life as normal if they so choose. See Burial. I'd say I benefit quite a bit from the detached nature of the net, I wouldn't join in some guys public football kickabout in real life, but I can go and play counter strike on a random server if I want.

'Can' in this case 'Does frequently' even if can go the other way too, definitely not a very unlikely outcome. Like-minded community is important because if you're an artist and want to show off some work you go to deviantart or something, not The Sims community forums, I don't think anyone's going to be particularly inspired there... As for the third part, you've gone over that yourself, it's not binary.

As for 4chan, well, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10506482.stm
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

to be honest, that prank is awesome, and yet surprisingly harmless if in fact "4chan" were indeed behind it :)
Greentitch
I wish I had a forum rank. I do I do I do.

Post by Greentitch »

I love the guys at the BBC news website. The following caption is just classic:
"It is not known if Kim Jong-il is a fan of Justin Bieber's music"

Anyway it seems a Blizzard employee posted his real name as a indication of things to come. It seems that post has been deleted. Along with his facebook account...

http://wowriot.gameriot.com/blogs/Ameri ... on?gr_i_ni
ash

Post by ash »

This had to happen :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiauaGbxipA

yeah I read that wowriot too :)
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

ash wrote:This had to happen :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiauaGbxipA

yeah I read that wowriot too :)
Last line = Gold. :D
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Kapoentje
Death Knight Class Leader

Post by Kapoentje »

Realid would only facilitate this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l1_8wefR7c
Oldmanmccain, Kapoentje, Barkspawn, Turboturbo.
Chicken isn't vegan?
Suzi

Post by Suzi »

On the one hand, I dislike the idea, and think that regardless of how increased anonymity usually leads to increased 4chan bullshit (/u/ excluded, of course!) it's still really important to be as close to anonymous as possible on the internet as it leads to a totally different style of discussion which is just as important to have as the kind of discussion you get face to face with somone in real life, and a step towards removing anonymity online is a step towards removing an important way of discussing things, looking at problems, conversing etc. After all you're always going to have the non anonymous face to face / real life social interactions, you can't get rid of that, and you can always create a forum on the internet where people can sign up and display their real name and home adress (and every other kind of half anonymity all the way down to 4chan) and if people want to, they'll go there and you can talk about stuff in the way that you want to there, but taking a community that has partial anonymity and forcibly removing it is just wrong, even if you don't think the anonymity itself is a good idea, and it isn't as easy as just stop posting or post somewhere else, if you take it somewhere else it still isn't the same thing right?. (In the same way that you wouldn't forcibly ban religion, even though religion is a terrible, terrible idea)

On the other hand, it's sparked like 1600 pages of drama, so is totally worth it. (That being said: drama should be quality over quantity. Blizzard are just a bunch of showoffs. I'll best them yet!)
ash

Post by ash »

Dave

Post by Dave »

Epic fail, Blizzard. /golfclap
Seigfried (tank/DPS), Kirilas (DPS), Beltain (healer/DPS), Ludinar (tank/DPS),
Suspicious (DPS), Artermis (in progress), Physio (in progress)
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

Petrol, meet Flames. Flames, Petrol...

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=128252
Kapoentje
Death Knight Class Leader

Post by Kapoentje »

Oldmanmccain, Kapoentje, Barkspawn, Turboturbo.
Chicken isn't vegan?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Blizzard's plan to use real names on the official forums has been cancelled. [Source]
Seigfried (tank/DPS), Kirilas (DPS), Beltain (healer/DPS), Ludinar (tank/DPS),
Suspicious (DPS), Artermis (in progress), Physio (in progress)
Brechnar

Post by Brechnar »

Good thing. I already dislike the RealID :/
ash

Post by ash »