Starcraft II Released

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Demonheart

Re: Starcraft II Released

Post by Demonheart »

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GFWE9V91

Someone review that for me.. :( I beat everyone in practice league so I went hell yeah I pwn and skipped the rest. Lost every match in bronze league so far. XD Every time I'm being punished for being, say, 15-20 seconds late on something. It feels really brutal to have everyone rush me. :(

Looking at the replay, was I simply a little late again? Should I have made a few more immortals and that would've been it?
Mr. President, get up or I will kill you right there.
In loving memory of Jack Bauer
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

both vespane gysers you only had 2 probes on

you chronoboosted a sentry vs terran ? They would not be able to attack at the time you did this (zerg doing a 6 pool maybe). You should instead chronoboost your base for probes or warp gates

1 gateway -> robo facility is very weak at this point in time the dude had 10 marines, where you have 2 zealots 1 sentry and 1 observer

immortals are crap vs marines, plus you were severely outgunned when you attacked. Learn to recognise when you're outgunned and live to fight another day, don't throw stuff away without a very good purpose

You learn warp gates and after 1st attack you still haven't converted your gateways

If your terran opponent sits in his base, don't throw yourself at his tanks. Expand and look out for drop ships on your mineral lines.

If you see the player has anti air turrets you'll need MANY air units to cope with it, so build something else instead.

Learn to look at what the opponent has built in terms of buildings and try to work out what they are going to build. for instance at 9 minutes you broke into his base with a few zealots and saw he had 2 starports with techlab addons.

This means either ravens or banshees. As its lower league its more likely to banshees as some people in the lower leagues don't understand the purpose of ravens.

As a general suggestion I'd focus on a easy build to start with.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/4_Warpgate_Rush

You'll win games with this easy :) Not all but some!
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

Unfortunately not had a chance to watch the reply yet, just wanted to talk briefly about the 4-gate rush tactic that Ash mentioned.

In my experience, 4-gate is starting to lose effectiveness in PvT because Terran players have learned how to deal with it. If you scout an early expand then it's still a good tactic, but most Terrans will expect a 4-gate, scout for it (the single vespene geyser and saved chronoboost is a dead giveaway) and defend it. You should definitely learn it though, because firstly it does have uses against early expand or fast tech Terrans and secondly you will still come up against it a LOT in PvP.
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

Uh just in case it wasn't obvious, you should have 3 probes on each Vespane gas. this is the same with all races

Having thought about it, you actually did quite well considering the army that you had. I reckon if you had 2 waves of zealots in some of those pushes, you would have probably won (so long as you kept your void rays for the banshees and had a stealth detector).

The reason I suggest 2 waves of zealots is the first are to 'absorb' the damage from the tanks, then when the supply depot is down, push the 2nd group of them in to cause maximum havoc to the marines + tank

Minimum 5 zealots per group. More is better
Vincenoir
Priest and Warlock Class Leader

Post by Vincenoir »

Ash pretty much covered everything i would say. Learn to do 1 build from http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Protoss_Strategy well. A few notes though:

That first attack would have gone so much better with a Guardian Shield from the sentry up. It would've reduced marine damage from 5 to 3 per hit which makes zealots sooooooo much better against a group of marines. Also if you attack into a wall like that you'll find your units, espcially ranged units, will attack the buildings if not close enough to enemy units. Make sure to move them in range before a-clicking or just camp outside and wait for him to come to you while building mass carrier/mothership(warning: you may lose before getting mass carrier/mothership)

By the end you had 40+ probes and 1 base. Probes and Pylons is a good mantra but Nexusiises needs to be added to that at a certain point! Any more than 30 probes on 1 base is a bit of a waste(2- 3 per mineral patch, 3 on each gas).

Immortals are a pretty sweet unit but they lose their effectiveness as the opponent army gets bigger. Even with a lot of zealots in front of them you can target down an immortal because their range means they have to get close to do the damage. Stalkers and Colossus are safe behind a zealot wall though
Demonheart

Post by Demonheart »

I have time for almost nothing other than school these days, but I'm getting better all the time. :) Still in Bronze obviously, rank 5 now and I only recently went on a huge win streak. I watch Day9tv all the time these days, that man is CRAZY I'm telling you. He's the first ever gamer I've ever come across who truly radiates genuine love for gaming. What a great man. You should all watch his "My life of Starcraft"- video!

http://topreplays.com/Replays/Details/8 ... ac_vs_wasy

Here's a video of me cheesing a silver player from a while back. :D
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

Just realised nobody had posted the 1.4.0 patch notes, though I'm guessing anyone who's really interested will already have seen them! Still, here's the abbreviated gameplay/balance changes (full patch notes here):
General
  • A new Career page displaying placement in past seasons has been added to the League & Ladders section of the Profile.
  • A new "View Ladder" button has been added to the league display at the bottom of the Quick Match screen. Clicking this button will take you directly to your ladder page.
  • The post-game score screen for ranked ladder games will now show icons next to each player's name indicating his or her league.
  • The upload timeout period for publishing custom maps has been increased significantly.
  • SLI performance has been improved.
  • When file corruption is detected in un-repairable files (replays, saved games, or downloaded maps), a prompt to run the Repair Tool will no longer occur.
Game Options
  • Added three privacy settings to the Options menu under the Battle.net section.
    - Only allow friends to send me invites.
    - Only allow friends to send me chat messages.
    - Set status to Busy when playing a game.
  • Added the FPS Toggle hotkey to the hotkey dialog.
  • Added Display Game Tooltips setting to the Options under Gameplay that can be turned off to prevent tooltips from appearing when playing a game.
  • Added a new setting to the Options under Controls which allows a player to enable or disable the ability to adjust in-game mouse sensitivity.
UI and Display
  • A Launch PTR button will now appear on the login screen when the PTR is available. Clicking this button will close the retail client and launch the PTR client.
  • Improved error messages when a unit is required but none is targeted to provide required target information.
  • UI Frame used in .SC2Layout files has more anchoring flexibility.
  • Loading an old saved game will now give an option to restart the mission in the new version of StarCraft II instead of loading it in the old version without access to achievements.
  • Player names in the Name Panel in observer or replay mode will now be based off the player's locations on the minimap. For example the player closer to the left side of the minimap will appear on the left side of the name panel.
  • When a building is canceled or salvaged the minerals returned will be displayed at the building location for the owner, for enemy players a floating text will be displayed.
  • Toggle Team Colors in 1v1 and Free-for-All when observing and during a replay will not change player colors.
Sound
  • An error notification sound is now played if a placement location cannot be found when unit training completes.
  • Most existing alert sounds are now reduced in volume when a new alert sound plays.
  • Transmissions without a valid sound file will now display a subtitle during cinematics even if the player has turned off subtitles.
  • Added a new Alert Fade option to control how much existing alert sounds fade when new alert sounds are played.
Balance
General
  • Unit vision up ramps has been reduced by 1.
PROTOSS
  • Immortal
    - Attack range increased from 5 to 6.
  • Mothership
    - Acceleration increased from 0.3 to 1.375.
    - The Mothership's Cloaking Field no longer cloaks all units instantaneously, but rather adds units to the cloak field over time (maximum of 25 per second). This should alleviate "Mothership Lag" issue when a Mothership comes online.
  • Stalker
    - Blink research time increased from 110 to 140.
  • Warp Prism
    - Shields increased from 40 to 100.
TERRAN
  • Barracks
    - Build time increased from 60 to 65.
  • Hellion
    - Infernal Pre-Igniter damage upgrade decreased from 10 to 5.
  • Raven
    - Seeker missile movement speed increased from 2.5 to 2.953.
ZERG
  • Infestor
    - Fungal Growth damage changed from 36 (+30% armored) to 30 (40 vs Armored).
    - Neural Parasite range decreased from 9 to 7.
  • Overseer
    - Morph cost decreased from 50/100 to 50/50.
    - Contaminate energy cost increased from 75 to 125.
  • Ultralisk
    - Build time decreased from 70 to 55.
Bug Fixes
Gameplay
  • Hitting Escape when using the Options menu while playing a game will now properly revert any changes made.
  • Loading a saved game with a game speed different than the minimum game speed now works correctly.
  • Failing to load a saved game from a previous build will now show the proper error message.
  • Reduced Violence no longer prevents custom death models from working.
  • Repeated control group and selection commands will no longer count as unique actions for APM calculation purposes.
  • In the Load Game Panel it is no longer possible to delete a saved game while playing it.
  • In the Load Game Panel, choosing to keep\save an unsaved file in the Recent Tab now properly saves the file.
  • Switching between a control group hotkey and selecting a unit no longer registers as a double-click.
  • The Base Camera and Jump to Location hotkeys can no longer be used while the game is paused.
  • Escape and F12 can no longer be used for custom grid hotkey profiles.
  • Default key display will not show up when Custom Observer hotkey has been set.
  • The range for structures hitting other structures is now consistent with non-structure units.
  • Units with movement suppressed can now issue an order to board a transport instead of just follow it.
  • A full refund will now be issued for any training requests that cannot complete because unit placement fails.
  • Commands that have no charges left will display a 0 instead of just hiding the number.
  • Resources spent repairing are now reported as resources lost when the repaired unit dies.
  • Fixed an issue with the Camera Follow mode not turning off when scrolling away from a unit being followed.
  • Fixed an issue with cycling chat recipients while in a party and watching a replay.
  • Fixed an issue in the Load Game Panel that sometimes caused the wrong map preview image to display.
  • Fixed an issue where the Hotkey dialog sometimes displayed inaccurate unit commands.
  • Fixed an issue where units would seem to pop when travelling along cliffs.
  • Fixed an issue where flyers may not decelerate in some cases.
  • Fixed issues displaying some hotkeys for non-US keyboard layouts.
  • Fixed issues with cursors when using NVidia 3DVision.
  • Fixed issues where an ally unit's command card was visible without shared control enabled.
  • Fixed some issues with DVORAK keyboards not working correctly with Grid hotkey profiles.
  • Fixed several issues with the Units Lost tab not tracking resources correctly.
  • Fixed erroneous hotkey conflict detections with some observer commands.
  • Fixed an issue where voice chat audio may have repeatedly played if voice chat was disabled while someone was chatting with you.
Protoss
  • Sentry Guardian Shield now correctly reduces damage from Hellion, Void ray, and Colossus attacks as well as the Siege Tank's sieged attack.
  • Fixed an issue where Colossus thermal lance beams would track a unit much further than the range of the weapon.
  • Fixed an issue where workers would not path around Force Field while harvesting.
Terran
  • The Command Center Load SCV command will now only ask to load as many SCVs as it can contain.
  • SCVs will now always face the building when resuming construction.
  • SCVs can no longer repair themselves while inside a Bunker or Medivac.
  • Fixed an issue where the Reaper could get stuck in some cases.
Zerg
  • Overseer & Brood Lord cocoons can now display waypoint lines when issuing queued patrol orders.
  • Baneling's Attack Structure ability is now a toggle to Enable/Disable Attack Structure. The toggle will determine whether structures are valid targets for auto-attack. This change fixes an issue which caused Banelings to prioritize buildings over hostile units.
  • Burrowed units are no longer cloaked by the Mothership, as this is redundant.
  • Attack upgrades are now retained by units controlled by Neural Parasite.
  • If a unit provides power, that power is temporarily transferred to a player using Neural Parasite.
  • Canceling more than one of the same structure at the same time as Zerg will add all Drones to the selection.
  • Improved Larva placement when the bottom edge of a hatchery is on a cliff edge to prevent Larva from getting killed.
  • Spore Crawlers and Spine Crawlers now disable their Stop button when rooting.
  • Fixed an issue where Drone attacks could be more easily dodged than SCV or Probes.
  • Fixed an issue where Broodlords on the high ground were not revealed when attacking enemy units on the low ground.
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Demonheart

Post by Demonheart »

http://www.sc2ranks.com/eu/1283578/Amnesiac

Rank 1 in my division in bronze league! Most bronze divisions are rather deserted, but mine has pretty harsh competition (top 8 requires 1000 points), so I'm happy. :) I started casually playing my first ever online RTS like two months ago, and I've achieved a little something. Besides, I can't be promoted since season lock is in effect. I'm heading home for a little vacation tomorrow, and I'm expecting my diamond cousin to coach me hardcore. That should be good!

PS: Oh, I was supposed to add a bunch of people.. I forgot, I'll do it right away :P
Demonheart

Post by Demonheart »

http://www.2shared.com/file/cpTnu780/LOL_OWNED.html

LOL I just love 6-raxing people, even tho my late game is really flawed, I've gotten sick good at rushing everyone's bum, so I got promoted to silver already, and now I'm facing gold players... I'm not sure I like that :(