Mafia Roles

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Greentitch
I wish I had a forum rank. I do I do I do.

Mafia Roles

Post by Greentitch »

Rather than put information for each role in every game thread I thought it'd be an idea to have a list of the roles and abilities in a single place. I'll add new roles here when they are used in games. Each game will detail what roles may appear so do not assume all of the below roles will be used in every game.

Villager - Basic Town player. Has no night abilities.
Innocent Child - Town player. Can ask the moderator to confirm their role in the thread at any time.
Cop - Town player. Can investigate one person each night to determine whether or not they are a Mafia player. Notified if their investigation is blocked.
Town Doctor - Town player. Can protect one person each night from a single kill attempt. Will not be told the results of their actions.
Town Roleblocker - Town player. Can block one person each night from using their abilities. Will not be told the results of their actions.
Vigilante - Town player. Can kill one person each night. Often has a limited number of shots.
Mason - Town player. Can talk to other Masons during the night.
Tracker - Town player. Can track one person each night to determine who, if anybody, that person targets with an ability. Does not see them targeting anyone if they are blocked. If the target performs multiple actions (e.g. Mafia Roleblocker performing kill and block) then they will only see one, randomly selected, target.
Watcher - Town player. Can watch one person each night to determine who, if anybody, targeted that person with an ability. Notified if their action is blocked. Does not see anyone targeting that player if they are blocked.
Miller - Town player. A shifty character who shows up as Mafia to investigations from a Cop. However they are unaware of this and receive a Villager PM.

Mafia Goon - Basic Mafia Player. Has no night abilities other than the kill shared amongst the Mafia team.
Mafia Roleblocker - Mafia Player. Can block one person each night from using their abilities. Will not be told the results of their actions.
Mafia Godfather - Mafia Player. Appears as a Town player to Cop investigations. Immune to a single night kill.
Mafia Spy - Mafia Player. Can investigate one person each night to determine their role. Notified if their investigation is blocked.
Mafia Ninja - Mafia Player. Always appears to have taken no action by roles such as Tracker or Watcher.

Serial Killer - Third-Party Player. MUST kill one person each night. Appears as a Villager to Cop and Spy investigations. Wins when they are the only remaining player. Immune to one kill attempt per night.

One-Shot - Added to any of the special roles to indicate that they can only use their ability once in the game. For example, One-Shot Doctor.
Commuter - Added to any role (often a basic role). Indicates that the player is only in town during the day and therefore cannot be killed in the night phase. If the player performs some other night action then they forfeit their protection for that night.
Backup - Given a specific role. When that role dies, the Backup takes over their abilities. For example, a Backup Doctor gains the Doctor's abilities when the Doctor is killed.
Even Night - Added to any role indicating they can only use their abilities on even numbered nights.
Odd Night - Added to any role indicating they can only use their abilities on odd numbered nights.
Day - Added to any role indicating they can use their ability at any time during the day (but not during the night).
Septih
Rick Roller

Re: Mafia Roles

Post by Septih »

What happens if say 1 mafia goon and 1 serial killer are left at the end?
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

The Mafia win condition is normally specified as making up at least half of the alive players. The assumption is that (as happened in the first game), the Mafia emerge and kill everyone else during the day at this point.

Then again it might be considered a draw. Lets just say the Town lost :P
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Added vigilante and commuter.
Beckie
Sweet like Candy

Post by Beckie »

Greentitch wrote:Commuter - Added to any role (including basic roles). Indicates that the player is only in town during the day and therefore cannot be killed in the night phase.
So if I understand correctly.. someone can be any role and be a commuter? So you can be a serial killer and sneak around at night and murder people.. while avoiding death by not being in town to being killed at night?

Two places at once? Or do they come in really early to do there night work?
Becki, Luvox, Candy, Prozak, Beckie
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Beckie wrote:So if I understand correctly.. someone can be any role and be a commuter? So you can be a serial killer and sneak around at night and murder people.. while avoiding death by not being in town to being killed at night?
Well technically any role. If you are performing some other night action then you won't get your protection. I'll update the information in the original post.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Ok so you can be like a Commuter Doctor and you can choose to either run to the safety of the suburbs or protect someone? But if you stay and use your ability you can be killed?
Exactly.

Normally a Commuter will be a Mafia Goon or Villager; making them a Mafia Commuter or simply a Commuter. However there's always the opportunity to have roles where a choice between personal safety and some other action is available.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Added the following roles in case I want to use them:
Innocent Child, Mason, Backup
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Amended Mafia Godfather and added Mafia Spy
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Amended the Serial Killer and added the Watcher and Tracker roles for use in the future.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Greentitch wrote:Amended the Serial Killer and added the Watcher and Tracker roles for use in the future.
Almost forgot about the Ninja too!
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

Sorry just a couple of questions:
Greentitch wrote:Serial Killer - Third-Party Player. MUST kill one person each night. Appears as a Villager to Cop and Spy investigations. Wins when they are the only remaining player. Immune to one kill attempt per night.
Are they not a bit hard to kill? Sounds a bit overpowered
Greentitch wrote:Tracker - Town player. Can track one person each night to determine who, if anybody, that person targets with an ability. Notified if their action is blocked.
Will they be told what the action is or just that the person they were tracking carried out an action during the night?
Greentitch wrote:Watcher - Town player. Can watch one person each night to determine who, if anybody, targeted that person with an ability. Notified if their action is blocked.
Same again, will they be told what the action was?
Kryten/Rimmer/Red Dwarf fanatic now forum lurker
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

The SK being immune to a single kill attempt each night does make them hard to kill. However it's a very hard role to play so they need some benefits. All this really stops is them getting randomly killed by the Mafia (or a trigger happy Vigilante). They can still be lynched which should be the main way for a SK to be killed. Just think of it as having a doctor protect them every night. If it proves to be overpowered then I'll change it.

The Watcher and Tracker only get to see the person who performed the action, not what action it was.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Ninja edited the post that was ninja edited by Beckie!

Added Even and Odd Night modifiers.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Added the Day modifier. Any action will last for a full day. For example, if a Roleblocker blocks a Day Vigilante at night then the vigilante will be unable to use their kill the following day. Reversely, if a Day RBer blocks a person then they will be unable to use their ability until the following day.

I know it's becoming a rather large list. I do try to take this into account when balancing games and will try to limit the number of roles somewhat in the starting post.