Heeuge! build me a pc! / performance woes

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Heeuge

Re: Heeuge! build me a pc! / performance woes

Post by Heeuge »

Septih wrote:What are the headphones like?
Pretty sweet. They were still confy after 2 hours of Left4Dead and Jess didn't complain once about the sound coming from them..... only about the girly screams from me ;)

The mic boom glow to tell me when it's muted is useful without being intrusive and the cable's more than long enough to get to me from under the desk.

Ashee wrote:Admittedly I downgraded it from Vista 64 down to XP 64 but that was due to wireless lag issues (everything else was fine!). Its possibly buying an adapter with the machine from Dell may have got around the issue but who knows.

Currently I recommend this PC. Not quite sure how but I was convinced an i7 was 4 cores. In Windows it shows 8 O_O. Having wikied this apparently its the number of "threads" it can do simultaneously.
Aye, the i7 chips have hyperthreading re-enabled after they were shut off for the Core series. Any performance boost can't be too bad! Complicated it may be but it definitely aids your mad speed!

As for the wireless issue, I've no doubt it would be a driver issue with Vista. My netgear PCI card is actually installed (through windows updates no less!) as a PCMCIA laptop wifi adapter - netgear are rubbish at updating drivers so I take what I can get! The router has had 2 vista firmwares, one from Oct 2006 and one from April 2008...... \o/
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

ash wrote:Seems to be "ok" at the moment. Bit reserved because I am wondering about quality of the hard drive currently. Last night was going thru dalaran with 35->40 fps with an out of date Ati driver.

Noticed a few "errors" in event log relating to the HDD which recommended a checkdisk. I scheduled one after a reboot. I then found it would get stuck on stage 2/3 checking indexes always got stuck at 67% (I left it overnight to do it eventually). Also couldn't cancel the checkdisk (no any key!! ;) nah it just wouldn't) and so gave up on it.

So I decided that one partition of 730 gb was retarded and have wiped the drive and reinstalled Vista from scratch. New partitions created as well (did this, this morning from 5:45->6:30!). Will be running checkdisk when I get home tonight.

If it still gets stuck checking the indexes I will restore the drive using the dell image thingamajig and give them an irate phone call :P

After all these years, I really should probably have done something about this, but I didnt want to give my shinies back :(

Had some HDD problems over the weekend and tbh I am still getting bad sectors popping up.

Ordering a new drive tonight before this one dies.

Although, its lasted 3 years with bad sectors? teh fsk
FragZero

Post by FragZero »

HDD + SSD ash!

Believe me, once you go ssd you never go back...
Warrior => Stainomo
Druid => Kokopelli
Roper

Post by Roper »

FragZero wrote:HDD + SSD ash!

Believe me, once you go ssd you never go back...
FragZero speaks the truth!!
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
Darkropes - lvl70 Warlock
Ropair - lvl60 Retired Hunter
ash

Post by ash »

100 quid for 120GB ?

:|

Yeah I know the performance is mad good but ...
Juan

Post by Juan »

From my research, there's not much point putting more than your OS and programmes you load at startup onto a SSD. So why would you need more than, say, 60gig? Correct..?
ash

Post by ash »

Seems a bit meh to have your OS load in 10 seconds, and then still have to wait 30+ seconds for anything else fun to load

I dunno I only have 2 sata connections anyway, ones on my HDD, the other on the DVDRW. Don't think I have the space
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

Well Windows is around 20GB, so you've still got ~40GB to put programs you're actually going to use on.
Heeuge

Post by Heeuge »

It's only since the Thai floods that SSD prices have dropped below £1/GB at last. £100 for 120GB really isn't bad and now they're getting a foothold in the mainstream market those prices will only drop further. That said, it'll be a while yet before they hit the 2p/GB¹ heights (lows?) of the platter drives before they all got wet.....

I was close to replacing my laptop drive with an SSD as a Christmas treat but ended up waiting for a better price. Sadly that window's closed now and I cannae afford such an extravagant 'waste of cash' (her words, not mine) :cry:

¹ assuming my primitive maths hasn't let me down - the last 2TB drive I bought cost just under £40
Roper

Post by Roper »

I went for 60GB and as has been said its plenty for the OS and leaves some room to play with. I love how quick Windows loads and I think it helps overall performance a bit as well. Having said that I kinda wish I went for 120GB and had room to slap a few games on there.

Anyway, I dont think I'll try to convince Ash, I know how reluctant he was to move on from a CRT. ;)
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
Darkropes - lvl70 Warlock
Ropair - lvl60 Retired Hunter
ash

Post by ash »

I still have my 21" CRT, wish I could still use it :(

no space on the desk...

ugh 2TB under £40.... I bought an external drive over the weekend 2TB for £100 :(

This was my first SATA machine so I didn't have any other way to back up my data.

meh
Heeuge

Post by Heeuge »

It's pretty simple / cheap to keep your critical data (or your MP3/film/'special' collection) online using cloud-based storage these days. I still use Carbonite (which now supports external USB drives, yay!) but there are a variety of options ranging from free to redunkadunk expensive. Heck even new phones (the HTC One range) come with 50GB of dropbox storage!

We currently have a total of 75GB or so stored on carbonite (Photos/music/docs) (as well as a 2TB mirrored NAS box) but on a 2mb/300k line it's taken a while to get there... ;) New house has BT Infinity available \o/
ash

Post by ash »

Which reminds me, lilac still hasn't told me which room is mine :(

>:D
Dreams of being better
Heeuge

Post by Heeuge »

ash wrote:...lilac still hasn't told me which room is mine :(
That one.

I warn you though, you'll be sharing with ULLLTTRAAAAAAA!
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

new house? when's the lan party?