Portal 2

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Septih
Rick Roller

Re: Portal 2

Post by Septih »

Have had it various times, first one was with halflife (on a crt ;) ), played 30mins, felt sick, rested 30mins then went back and played for about 7 hours :P
Roper

Post by Roper »

Think the only game I've had it on is Farcry2, did the same as Sep did with halflife, rested for a bit then went back to it and seemed mostly okay after. Had it a little a couple of other times when I first started playing but went quickly.
Septih wrote:Looks like we've found out what valve did with the guys from TAG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5FRKGuK ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMMf0Eid ... r_embedded
I wanna take a look at all the videos they keep releasing, but dont wanna spoil it. :(
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
Darkropes - lvl70 Warlock
Ropair - lvl60 Retired Hunter
Greentitch
I wish I had a forum rank. I do I do I do.

Post by Greentitch »

It's simply motion sickness, the same thing as some people suffer from in a car or other vehicle.

It's caused by the movement you perceive with your eyes disagreeing with the movement perceived by your inner ear. Your brain then believes you are hallucinating and wants to remove the imagined toxins. Some games are worse for it than others. For example, first person games generally cause more of a problem than third person or strategy games. Games like Mirror's Edge are particularly bad as there is a lot of movement including rotations not normally found in computer games. The movement is also quite realistic rather than the generic bobbing found in most first person games.

Portal and Mirror's Edge are probably also quite bad due to the relative "cleanliness" of the environment. In most games there's lots of noise and you are paying attention to the guy with the gun hidden behind the bush or whatever. In Portal and Mirror's Edge you are watching the environment. Not to mention watching yourself go through the wall on the other side of the room is a little confusing the first time.

It also explains why travel sickness is often reduced by looking out of the window.
Roper

Post by Roper »

Portal 2 DLC coming Wednesday as mentioned here

Yay!!!
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
Roper

Post by Roper »

For anyone who didn't want to pay full price for a relatively short game, it's currently £5.09 on steam midweek sale, or £6.11 for both games. Bloody bargain! You can also create your own test chambers with the newly released DLC.
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
tomas

Post by tomas »

Downloaded a bunch of maps last night and played them for about an hour. While obviously content someone else has made won't have the great story, it's great I clicked 1 button and got another hour out of the game, and there are a lot of buttons :p . Think I'll try and make some maps :p
Roper

Post by Roper »

I had a similar little play for about an hour at the weekend, as you say it’s never going to be the same without the story but the maps I tried were still quite good fun, even if I had to give up with one as I couldn’t find a solution… Think I’ll definitely be picking this up from time to time and trying some more. Nice and easy to download maps as well, the only criticism I’d have is that when you get to the end you only get to rate good or bad, I’d rather some kind of sliding scale as with so many maps being made its going to be important to know which are actually any good.
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
Roper

Post by Roper »

Real Portal gun!

http://vimeo.com/43800150
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

I've ordered one